Saturday, April 07, 2007

To try: Chicken carbonara

As usual I'm going to take a recipe from a reputable source (Mario Batali) and hash it beyond recognition. For protein I plan to add a little chicken, and for repeatability's sake I'm going to cut this down to one serving (raw egg = no microwaving, or so I think).

(Thank you, Mario, for teaching me that carbonara means a coal miner's wife!)

1 helping pasta
2 oz pancetta or bacon, cut in 1/3" dice
1 egg, separated
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
black pepper
sliced cooked chicken

Render and brown the pancetta in a pan (leave in pan with the fat). Cook the pasta. Whisk the egg, Parmesan and pepper. Add the pasta and a tablespoon of pasta water to the pan and heat, shaking, 1 min. Add egg mixture and chicken and toss until fully incorporated. Plate and top with more Parmesan.

Sounds to me like about 15 minutes cooking time; I'm sure the idea of reheating is antithetical, but it's worth a try if this is tasty.

No comments: