Berries and maybe a sauce are often served with it. But plenty of people also like just the creamy vanilla goodness by itself.
Remember, this is my slightly reorganized version -- for the original, go here.
- 2 packets powdered gelatin
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- canola oil
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl (at least 5-cup capacity) and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Heat the cream and sugar in a saucepan till the sugar is dissolved.
4. Take the saucepan off the heat, stir in the vanilla extract and pour the very warm cream-vanilla mix over the gelatin. Stir till the gelatin is dissolved.
5. Pour the cream/gelatin mixture into the prepared cups, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till the mixture becomes firm, at least two hours.
To serve, you take off the plastic wrap, then turn the bowl upside down over a plate -- the molded panna cotta tumps out, if you're lucky. If it doesn't, what the hell, turn it rightside up again and hand it to 'em with a spoon.