Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Notes on King Ranch Chicken

Made it with the cream of poblano soup and a litle extra Hatch
enchilada sauce stirred in. Flavor is good (even a little hot) but I
find myself looking askance at the corn and green coloring that came in
the soup. Might be worth trying again with cream of chicken but more
Hatch sauce.

Chop the onion TINY because it is noticeable chunks in this recipe. Or
could try skipping it.

Made a full-size casserole so probably 6 to 8 portions. I gave some
away (to good reception) because I had a strange reaction to the dish
-- I did not look forward to eating it when I brought it to work for
lunch, but once I was chowing down it was tasty and I raced through it.
Probably due to the poblano/corn and the suburban associations. Might
be more appealing once refined.

Pricewise, I made an entire pot of tortilla soup (6 portions), a King
Ranch casserole (6-8 portions) and an undetermined number of
CFS/corn/mashed potato servings for $50, which I will ballpark at 17
meals = $3 apiece, so not bad. If I looked forward to the KR chicken
the way I do the others, I'd call it a success all round.

No comments: